EIPA 3.5+
RID Certification and Colorado Legal Credential Authorization required
All Venues
There is a law which mandates that practitioners who claim to be sign language interpreters have achieved minimum qualification standards (RID certification).
None Required
Yes for Educational Interpreters. There isn't licensure for other areas of interpreting but you cannot be employed as an interpreter or even call yourself an interpreter without RID certification so for settings outside of education, you need certification by law.
Governing Body
For courts: Colorado Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
For schools: Colorado Department of Education
For community: Colorado Attorney General’s Office
$60 application, $30 fingerprinting fee
The commission has a staff: 7 members: administrator, legal auxiliary services manager, telecommunications equipment distribution program coordinator, outreach consultant for the deaf community, legal auxiliary services coordinator, outreach consultant for the hard-of-hearing community, and media specialist. The board has 7 members: representative for hard-of-hearing community, representative of interpreter community, representative for the late-deafened community, representative of the parent community, representative of the public, representative for deaf community, and a representative of professional community. The Commission is governed by a seven-member Commission appointed by the Governor for a term of four years each, with all programs and daily operations managed by an Administrator. Commissioners may be reimbursed for mileage, parking costs, lodging and per diem when attending regular and special commission meetings and retreats.
Educational Interpreters: must submit fingerprints to Colorado Department of Eeducation and fill out application packet, have an AA in educational interpreting.
60 hours Renewal 5 years for Educational Interpreters
Special Provisions
Temporary Authorization Status is intended for sign language interpreters who possess basic skills in interpreting, but have not met all criteria for the Educational Interpreter license.