The Council for Exceptional Children's Division for Communicative Disabilities and Deafness has created a Position Paper regarding the need for to support the requirement for qualified/credentialed Teachers of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (TODHH) in all aspects of educational programming and planning for students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing. You may download the entire paper for further information.
Credentialed TODHH are critical to:
- Providing appropriate evaluation
- Effective educational programming and planning
- Providing student-centered instruction in academic, linguistic, and social/emotional content
- Meeting the requirements of IDEA and ADA
- Securing positive outcomes for students and schools
- Providing specialized instruction and support to meet the specific language, communication, academic and social needs of students who are DHH
DCDD recommends that all Local Education Agencies ensure the services of credentialed TODHH, in order to appropriately meet the needs of students who are DHH, as required by IDEA and ADA.
Approved by the Board of Directors of DCDD on May 22, 2017