If you know a deaf inmate in Tennessee prison who is having communication problems, please contact DRT by phone at 1-800-342-1660 or by email at GetHelp@Disability RightsTN.org.
Disability Rights Tennessee (DRT) and the Civil Rights Education and Enforcement Center (CREEC) are currently investigating communication barriers for deaf inmates in Tennessee prisons. This includes prisons operated by the Tennessee Department of Correction (TDOC) and by CoreCivic.
Examples of communication problems include:
No sign langugae interpreter for communications like:
- medical appointments
- Using other inmates as "interpreters"
- Grievance infromation only in written English
- No videophones
- Greater access to telephones than videophones
- No visual fire and emergency alarms
- No closed captions on TVs